Oscar-winning actor Philip Seymour Hoffman
After more than two decades of sobriety, Oscar-winning actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was found inside his New York City apartment on Sunday, police said, with a needle stuck in his arm, dead from a possible heroin overdose.
Even with 23 years of abstinence under his belt, experts say that it’s not all that surprising Hoffman fell off the wagon.
“We treat addiction like you can make it go away with a 28-day stint in rehab and that’s the end of it, but that’s not how it works,” said Dr. Joseph Shrand, a Harvard professor and the medical director of CASTLE, a teen addiction treatment center in Brockton, Mass. “It requires lifelong vigilance to stay clean.”
CASTLE (Clean And Sober Teens Living Empowered), is a teen addiction treatment center in Brockton, Mass.
Research suggests that the chance of…
View original post 590 more words